What is a BigCommerce subscription app?
A BigCommerce subscription app is a third-party tool that can be installed and configured as part of an existing BigCommerce setup to provide features related to running a subscription business.
BigCommerce subscription apps: what to know
There’s a huge range of different subscription apps and plugins out there, some providing more functionality than others. In any case, if you’re looking to use BigCommerce apps to enable recurring payments (or any other platform with a plugin-heavy ecosystem), it’s important to take into account the following 3 points:
- Subscription apps for BigCommerce aren’t developed by BigCommerce themselves. Third-party BigCommerce apps and BigCommerce itself will be developed at different paces, and may not always work together with 100% stability. An all-in-one platform, on the other hand, will ensure bugs, errors and server downtime are at a minimum.
- The topic of subscription management is complex and nuanced. Each BigCommerce subscription app takes a different approach. Using multiple at once may result in additional confusion if features overlap in the wrong way. Focusing your experience with a single-platform solution is often a more efficient choice, no matter your use case.
- Subscription apps aren’t cheap. Data suggests that running a subscription business with a plugin-heavy tech stack is over 6 times more expensive on average than with an all-in-one subscription program.
The best BigCommerce subscription apps
There’s over a dozen subscription apps on the BigCommerce App Store, but which ones are contenders for the best BigCommerce subscription app? To save you the time, here’s our list of 5 of the most popular.
While Subbly isn’t officially on BigCommerce’s app store, you can easily integrate its checkout functionality can be easily integrated into any BigCommerce setup. This gives you access to all the powerful features of the Subbly checkout, from upsells to coupon codes (configured via Subbly), right there on your page. To learn more about embedding Subbly into your BigCommerce site, check out our guide.
- Embeddable checkout available on all plan tiers
- Multiple payment gateways supported
- Customizable branding and visuals
- 14 day free trial
- Starting at $14/month
Recharge Subscriptions for BigCommerce allows you to reduce churn using flexible subscription management tools, accurately measure your performance to optimize your business, drive sustainable growth and acquire customers to strengthen your recurring revenue streams.
- Unified checkout and secure, self-serve customer portal
- Integrations with Avlara, Loyalty Lion, ShipperHQ, Klaviyo, and more
- Checkout integration that supports Stripe, Authorize.net, and Braintree by PayPal
- Automation and workflows
- Visual and theme customization options
- Built-in analytics
- API access and SDK
- Single price: $99/month + transaction fee of $1.25 + 19¢
Bold Subscriptions is another BigCommerce subscription app that allows customers to power physical subscription and digital membership models to build recurring revenue and maximize customer lifetime value. To extend functionality even further past the default offering, Bold Subscriptions has numerous powerful integrations, including over >2000 through Zapier.
- Self-service, secure customer portal
- Email templates and marketing automation
- Custom cancelation flows
- Analytics and reports
- Access to a robust API
- $49.99/month + 1% transaction fee
Rebillia is an enterprise subscription management platform for BigCommerce. It allows you to set up automated recurring orders and payments, and securely check out and save subscribers’ payment details, while remaining completely under-the-radar as a fully embedded integration.
- Subscription and membership functionality
- PCI-DSS Level 1 Service Provider
- GDPR compliance
- Compatible with BigCommerce Multi Storefront
- API access
- Rebillia’s pricing is not publicly available. Potential users need to get in touch for a custom quote.
PayWhirl Subscriptions is a recurring payment processing app for BigCommerce built on cloud-based, scalable infrastructure. The app makes it easy to create and manage different products and payment plans, send invoices, and allow customers to manage their own subscriptions without any input from the merchant.
- Supports subscriptions, build-a-box products, pre-orders, and more
- Secure customer area
- Automated billing and dunning management
- No coding required to set up
- Embeddable widgets
- Starter: $0/month + 3% transaction fee
- Business Pro: $49/month + 2% transaction fee
- Business Plus: $149/month + 1% transaction fee
- Business Ultimate: $249/month + 0.5% transaction fee
sticky.io Subscriptions allows users to unlock the benefit of recurring revenue by helping them launch and manage unique subscription programs. Subscriptions can be enabled on all or some products, while automated workflows and churn management tools help maximize customer retention.
- Turnkey solution
- Guided onboarding and setup
- Flexible subscription models
- Ongoing updates and feature development
- Subscription analytics
- Starting at $99/month + 1.25% transaction fee
That’s a wrap for our list of the best BigCommerce subscription apps on the market.
Even if you don’t use BigCommerce, it’s the same for Shopify subscription apps, Magento subscription apps, Webflow recurring payments solutions, and WordPress subscription or membership plugins too!
Check out BigCommerce’s App Store yourself to have a look — but there’s nothing on the market yet that can match the feature set of Subbly’s all-in-one platform. Here’s what our customers have to say!
“Subbly really is built subscription first. Whereas you would need a lot of plugins and third-party apps to get started on other platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce, on Subbly, it’s all built right in. It really ends up saving you money because you don’t have to pay for a lot of apps.” – Charmaine Merriweather, Founder of HUES Book Box
“I highly recommend you signup, because from subs, upsells, to email automations and reporting, there is no system out there that does it better than Subbly. Oh, and the customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Period.” – Alex Fleck, Founder of The Keeper Box
“I didn’t know I would want all these features until I got started – I wish I would have known as it would’ve been so much easier to start with Subbly or migrate sooner before my subscriber numbers got any higher.” — Karen Sidell, Founder of Tot’s Playtime Box
Try Subbly yourself today – the first 14 days are on us!